Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pros and Cons of a New Doctor

I'm seeing a new doctor tomorrow who specializes in orthopedic spine stuff.  It was supposed to be today, but we're having an arctic crisis over here and I had to reschedule.  Thank goodness he had an opening tomorrow because it took me a month to get in for the first appointment.

I have a love/hate relationship of going to a new doctor.  There is always the hope that he/she will be the missing puzzle piece.  They might have a solution or an idea on how to fix this mess.  Unfortunately going to a new doctor requires a summary of my story.  How do you summarize 13 years of pain and problems in 30 minutes or an hour if you're lucky?  I always take copies of scans, reports, and a summary of procedures, medications, and allergies.  I can usually tell if it's going to be a positive experience within the first few minutes.  Some doctors see my packet of information and their eyes tell me that they would like to turn and run out of the door.  I have an allergy list that is a full typed page and that scares many people.  Others look at as a welcomed challenge.  Hopefully tomorrow I may have some answers.

Did you ever see the episode of Seinfeld where Elaine tries to get a hold of her medical chart because the doctor constantly writes notes about her?  Kramer attempts to get a copy posing as a doctor.  He then ends up getting caught and both of them have more notes entered into their charts.  I hope that's not me.  I hope I don't have a chart floating between doctors.  A chart would be an understatement.  It's probably a book by now.  Seriously though, what do they write in there?

No comments:

Post a Comment